Staff iOS Engineer
We are a hybrid, remote-friendly culture, with our company headquarters based in San Francisco. Candidates anywhere in the US are encouraged to apply.
Ambience Healthcare’s mission is to supercharge healthcare providers with AI superpowers.
The most painful part of a provider’s day consists of hours of late-night administrative work, writing detailed documentation in the medical record for each of their visits. We’re starting to see the consequences of this widespread documentation burden: providers are burning out and resigning from their careers in medicine at record rates. Until now, healthcare systems have been unable to find any solutions that work.
Ambience's flagship product, Ambience AutoScribe, is a fully automated AI medical scribe that captures the nuances of provider-patient conversation in real-time into comprehensive medical documentation within the EMR, so providers can focus on what matters most: caring for patients. The product is used by our providers every single day, and for the first time in years, they are able to get home on time for dinner without any documentation homework. Now, our providers refuse to practice without AutoScribe.
At Ambience, you’ll be surrounded by an exceptional team of A-players who are kind, humble, curious, and deeply aligned with the core mission of improving the lives of providers and their patients, including:
- 2nd time founders in healthcare who previously built a virtual care platform
- Author of a leading deep learning textbook featured in the Bill Gates documentary
- Co-founder of Cruise's ML platform team
- Former principal architect at Palantir
- Founder of Reddit's web platform team
- Former head of growth from a leading tech-enabled primary care group
As we experience tremendous pull from the market for our product and on the heels of an oversubscribed Series A round (backed by a16z, Human Capital, and OpenAI, amongst others), we’re actively growing the team across sales, marketing, product, engineering, clinical, and customer success functions.
As Lead iOS Engineer at Ambience, your primary responsibility will be to develop and launch our first set of iOS products, bringing our AI medical scribe technology to users' mobile devices. You will work closely with our product team to prototype and iterate on new features. Additionally, you will lay the foundation for Ambience's future mobile development initiatives and foster a strong sense of teamwork, growth, and innovation within our engineering team.
Within the first 6 months, your focus will be on establishing the technical groundwork for Ambience's first mobile offering, leading the delivery of a high-quality, reliable, and scalable application. Alongside these tasks, you will actively teach and mentor other engineers on the team, sharing best practices for developing delightful mobile experiences. You will have an opportunity to make a significant impact early on, paving the way for leadership opportunities as the company grows over time.
What You'll Do:
- Design, build, and maintain our first set of iOS products using Swift/Swift UI
- Plan and deploy mobile platform infrastructure for building, testing, and deploying new iterations
- Ensure a robust architecture that is fault-tolerant and elegantly handles OS or user-driven interruptions
- Partner closely with our Product team and leadership to develop new experiences, align projects with core engineering needs, and contribute to company goals
- Develop and uphold best practices, coding standards, and engineering processes for the team
Who You Are:
- 6+ years of professional experience building iOS apps end-to-end using Swift or Objective-C (Swift/Swift UI highly desirable)
- Comfortable with API design and implementing server-side changes needed for mobile apps
- Proven expertise building architecturally complex applications and systems from the ground up
- Thrive in environments with high levels of complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity
- A low-ego team player who prioritizes co-discovering the best ideas, even if they’re not your own
- Enjoy growing the team and mentoring engineers
Technical Skills and Tools:
- Swift or Objective-C
- Swift UI
- NodeJS / Typescript is a plus
- Experience with other Apple platforms such as macOS or watchOS is a plus
- Familiarity with AVAudioEngine or audio processing toolkits on iOS is highly desirable
Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? We don’t expect every candidate to have done everything listed above, and we're excited to work with candidates who are eager to grow and develop their skills. Join Ambience as a founding team member in our journey to create breakthrough product experiences for our users.
$150,000 - $250,000, with the addition of significant equity.
We’ve intentionally allocated a wider range so that candidates have more flexibility to choose the desired cash/equity split that works for them. Philosophically, we lean towards generous equity grants so that our team truly gets to share in the impact they create.
Are you outside of the range? We encourage you to still apply: we take an individualized approach to ensure that compensation accounts for all of the life factors that matter for each candidate.
Being at Ambience:
- An opportunity to work with cutting edge AI technology, on a product that dramatically improves the quality of life for healthcare providers and the quality of care they can provide to their patients
- Dedicated budget for personal development, including access to world class mentors, advisors, and an in-house executive coach
- Work alongside a world-class, diverse team that is deeply mission aligned
- Ownership over your success and the ability to significantly impact the growth of our company
- Competitive salary and equity compensation with benefits including health, dental, and vision coverage, paid maternity/paternity leave, quarterly retreats, unlimited PTO, and a 401(k) plan
We’re fortunate to be backed by:
- Top-tier venture firms: Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and Human Capital
- The best minds in AI: OpenAI Startup Fund, Jeff Dean, Richard Socher, Pieter Abbeel, AIX Ventures, and others
- Healthcare industry leaders: Optum Ventures, Martin Ventures, the Frist family, Randy Parker, Anne Wojcicki, Jay Desai, Nish Bhat, Eren Bali, and others