Staff Software Engineer, AI Platform
We are a hybrid, remote-friendly culture, with our company headquarters based in San Francisco. Candidates anywhere in the US are encouraged to apply.
Ambience Healthcare’s mission is to supercharge healthcare providers with AI superpowers.
The most painful part of a provider’s day consists of hours of late-night administrative work, writing detailed documentation in the medical record for each of their visits. We’re starting to see the consequences of this widespread documentation burden: providers are burning out and resigning from their careers in medicine at record rates. Until now, healthcare systems have been unable to find any solutions that work.
Ambience's flagship product, Ambience AutoScribe, is a fully automated AI medical scribe that captures the nuances of provider-patient conversation in real-time into comprehensive medical documentation within the EMR, so providers can focus on what matters most: caring for patients. The product is used by our providers every single day, and for the first time in years, they are able to get home on time for dinner without any documentation homework. Now, our providers refuse to practice without AutoScribe.
At Ambience, you’ll be surrounded by an exceptional team of A-players who are kind, humble, curious, and deeply aligned with the core mission of improving the lives of providers and their patients, including:
- 2nd time founders in healthcare who previously built a virtual care platform
- Author of a leading deep learning textbook featured in the Bill Gates documentary
- Co-founder of Cruise's ML platform team
- Former principal architect at Palantir
- Founder of Reddit's web platform team
- Former head of growth from a leading tech-enabled primary care group
As we experience tremendous pull from the market for our product and on the heels of an oversubscribed Series A round (backed by a16z, Human Capital, and OpenAI, amongst others), we’re actively growing the team across sales, marketing, product, engineering, clinical, and customer success functions.
As a Staff Software Engineer on the AI Platform team, you will design, build, and maintain the core infrastructure that empowers healthcare providers who use our platform every single day as they care for patients. As an OpenAI portfolio company, you will be surrounded by the leading minds in AI and exposed to the latest advancements in our field.
In the first 6 months, you’ll be responsible for setting up the foundations for long term success, investing in platform observability, reliability, and scalability. As a technical leader, you’ll be responsible for the entire lifecycle of major technical initiatives in our AI stack--from system design to deploying the code you've written.
What You’ll Do:
- Design and architect major product features leveraging the latest advancements in AI to deliver a magical user experience
- Anticipate system bottlenecks and proactively re-architect key system components before they create issues for our customers
- Lead product initiatives with high strategic value, accelerating speed of iteration while preventing accumulation of technical debt
- Hold the codebase to a high standard, and assist in developing engineering processes that encourage shipping high quality code
Who You Are:
- You have spent 6+ years working on challenging zero-to-one software engineering problems that have spanned multiple teams
- You have extensive knowledge of how distributed systems work, have taken apart open source projects, and understand how to navigate key architectural trade-offs.
- You’ve successfully built and evolved systems to meet production SLAs at meaningful scale
- You’re comfortable working on a modern infrastructure stack, including common cloud providers (e.g. AWS, Azure, GCP), containers (e.g. Docker), queuing systems (e.g. RabbitMQ, Kafka), and standard database technologies (e.g. Postgres)
- You’re willing to flex up and down the stack in order to take projects to the finish line.
- You enjoy coaching and mentoring other engineers, but are also excited to still roll up your sleeves and write code
- You hold teams to a high standard of quality and execution speed, as demonstrated through your prior experience as a cross-functional technical leader and/or engineering manager.
- You have a demonstrated ability to own execution of ideas from inception through to successful outcomes
- You’re excited to lead an ambitious, mission-aligned team that delivers breakthrough product experiences
- You are a low-ego team player who prioritizes co-discovering the best ideas, even if they’re not your ideas
- You value being a kind, encouraging, and supportive teammate to others
- You thrive in environments with high levels of complexity, uncertainty, and ambiguity
Not sure if you meet all of the qualifications? We don’t expect every candidate to have done everything listed above, and we're excited to work with candidates who are eager to grow and develop their skills.
$170,000 - $250,000, with the addition of significant equity.
We’ve intentionally allocated a wider range so that candidates have more flexibility to choose the desired cash/equity split that works for them. Philosophically, we lean towards generous equity grants so that our team truly gets to share in the impact they create.
Are you outside of the range? We encourage you to still apply: we take an individualized approach to ensure that compensation accounts for all of the life factors that matter for each candidate.
Being at Ambience:
- An opportunity to work with cutting edge AI technology, on a product that dramatically improves the quality of life for healthcare providers and the quality of care they can provide to their patients
- Dedicated budget for personal development, including access to world class mentors, advisors, and an in-house executive coach
- Work alongside a world-class, diverse team that is deeply mission aligned
- Ownership over your success and the ability to significantly impact the growth of our company
- Competitive salary and equity compensation with benefits including health, dental, and vision coverage, paid maternity/paternity leave, quarterly retreats, unlimited PTO, and a 401(k) plan
We’re fortunate to be backed by:
- Top-tier venture firms: Andreessen Horowitz, Kleiner Perkins, and Human Capital
- The best minds in AI: OpenAI Startup Fund, Jeff Dean, Richard Socher, Pieter Abbeel, AIX Ventures, and others
- Healthcare industry leaders: Optum Ventures, Martin Ventures, the Frist family, Randy Parker, Anne Wojcicki, Jay Desai, Nish Bhat, Eren Bali, and others