Tech Lead Manager (Fullstack)
Engineering @ Open
At Open, we exist because we believe that Insurance does not have to be seen as complicated or costly. Creating technology so our customers can enjoy smart and intuitive insurance experiences is at the core of Open’s development philosophy. When we do this, we’re building modern infrastructure that brings the wonder into insurance.
With a truly end-to-end approach, we build all of our own technology. Our engineering team alongside our AI and data science team aim to give customers better insurance prices. We create the insurance experience our customers deserve, not the one they expect. The team specialises in Python (Django) and Angular, and uses the latest AWS tools to support development.
What you’ll do
As a Tech Lead Manager, you will lead the design and development of software in your squad. Together you will create useful and delightful experiences for our customers/partners. Working closely with Product, Design, Data, and TechOps teams, you will drive business value each step of the way. You will grow engineers in their career, and lead agile delivery for your squad. In this role, you will:
- Design and build efficient, scalable, and reusable software meeting time and technical constraints.
- Review code and technical designs from your teammates, paying attention to patterns and practices of the team.
- Lead and own the agile practices of your squad, ensuring we meet our delivery objectives.
- Own the technical roadmap, documentation quality, and platform health of your squad, inline with Open’s technology strategy.
- Share experience and knowledge openly with the team.
- Ensure the systems built have the appropriate level of logging and monitoring.
- Keep abreast of technology changes.
- Keep security and privacy front of mind throughout the SDLC.
- Lead and manage your direct reports in their performance and career development.
Finally, you’ll also have the opportunity to learn about the insurance industry. And, understand the key differentiators that make Open a key player in our space and why we will be successful on our mission.
What you’ll bring
- Strong experience as a Software Engineer in Python (Django).
- Hands-on experience in a front-end framework, Angular is preferred.
- Excellent knowledge of Cloud based development in AWS or Azure.
- Good experience in CI/CD, and Git+ workflows to support code review and release of software.
- Familiar with architectural patterns with exposure to a product that contained Microservices and Message/Event Driven Architecture.
- Experienced with Infrastructure as Code.
- Practitioner of SOLID principles, and can coach their adoption through code reviews.
- 1+ year of experience as a people manager in a product-led company.
- Hands-on experience as an agile delivery lead, using Scrum or similar.
- A Bachelors/Masters degree in computer science or a related field is preferred, but not necessary.
Our offices are located in Sydney, Melbourne, the Sunshine Coast and NZ. This role is flexible around these locations.
It’s an exciting time to join our team and be part of a tech company going through a hyper-growth phase. We provide our team with:
- Highly competitive compensation
- High levels of autonomy and trust so you can do your best work
- Growth opportunities internally - as you grow, your role can too
- Flexible working - we are about impact, not time at your desk. We encourage freedom and responsibility, including the ability to work from anywhere
- Annual allowance for professional development - use it towards a gym membership, professional coaching, a conference. Whatever matters most to you
We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer that celebrates diversity and are committed to providing an inclusive environment for all employees.
Lastly, Open is a high-performing team that strives to achieve brilliant things every day and we encourage you to apply even if your experience doesn’t exactly match the job description. We’re looking for people who are intellectually curious, courageous, innovative and passionate. Our culture is truly open, we’re continuously challenging each other to live our values, and aren’t afraid to raise questions when we fall short. Most importantly, Open is for those that want to create change and have an impact. If that sounds like you, apply for this role and let’s build the future of insurance together.
Who we are
Open is on a mission to provide the best insurance experiences, at the best price, for the world. Insurance is one of the world’s least digitally mature industries - for years it’s remained confusing, paper-based and heavily intermediated. We launched in 2016 to build a global, AI-powered platform that digitises the entire insurance process, making it transparent, less costly and more reliable.
Our promise to customers is powerful car, home and travel insurance. Many know us through our consumer brand, Huddle (huddleinsurance.com), and we also offer bespoke white-label solutions for brands who embed our insurance into their digital experiences. Our partner brands include Bupa, Polestar, Telstra, and ahm.
But the best is yet to come – we plan on doubling growth while expanding to New Zealand and the UK. We also believe in using business as a force for good – Open is Australasia’s only certified B Corp insurance company and as a partner of 1% for the Planet, we donate at least 1% of our revenue every year.
Open is backed by leading investors, including AirTree Ventures, Movac, LocalGlobe UK and Hollard Insurance and we’ve raised over $53m to date. Since 2018, we’ve achieved a 628% growth rate and have won awards from FinTech Australia, the Global InsurTech 100, Mozo.com.au, Pause Fest, SmartCompany’s Smart50 (5th) and the AFR Fast 100, who recognised us as Australia’s 7th fastest growing company in 2022.
Our team thrive on solving problems to revolutionise insurance and have a ‘no excuses’ attitude when it comes to putting our customers first. We have a high performing team and an open and enabling culture that attracts the best creative and critical thinkers. Join us and let’s build the future of insurance together.