Sydney, NSW, Australia
Posted on Friday, October 20, 2023
At Pet Circle, we want to create a world where pets and their families are healthy, happy and spend more time together - and we are looking for fantastic people to help us do that!
Over the past ten years, we’ve scaled to become one of Australia's Top 5 eCommerce companies and the No.1 player in the Online Pet industry. We will accelerate our growth as we continue on our mission to disrupt the way that pet parents discover & shop for the products they love.
The pet industry is booming (it’s a $15billion dollar industry!) and pets are holding bigger spaces in our hearts and homes than ever before. Online penetration of the pet industry is going to grow exponentially in the next 5 years. This is a unique opportunity in your career to be part of our exceptional growth story!
Founded and headquartered in Sydney, our team is now over 700 people strong and are based across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines.
Our Engineering team is based remotely across Australia, New Zealand and the Philippines. We're a growing company (700 team members and more joining every day!) with a lean development environment - we want people who are well rounded and think past the code to see the bigger picture. We celebrate our wins and we learn from our losses. You won’t be criticised for trying to make our product better.
You'll be familiar with how lean development teams operate, working with product managers, designers and other parts of our company to produce the best platform we can. There's no red tape to hold you back, or to hide behind. We like it that way.
Your key focus would be to write robust, high-quality code enhancing and improving our stack. You pride yourself on balancing architectural and design purity with practicalities (both business and technical). Supporting and challenging engineering peers, as well as reports will be important to help us reach our potential. We are a Java/GCP Environment with a Front End stack that includes Preact, HTML, CSS, jQuery and Core JS.
- Develop applications and services (primary responsibility and time).
- Assist in day-to-day operations of the platform as necessary, especially with problem investigation.
- Engage in stand-ups, maintain JIRA tasks, participate in code-reviews.
- Unblock your peers when troubles arise.
- Work in multi-functional teams and contribute to the overall success of projects via physical / virtual meetings, online chat, documentation.
- Lead a squad of 5-7 Engineers - managing growing and uplifting their capability
- Review stories and / or tech designs, and then code to the task.
- Pair with other developers for code reviews, training, or just general collaboration on tasks.
- Provide feedback on tasks (practicalities, options, time estimates).
- Additional responsibilities - Investigate and resolve critical bugs, participate in a complicated release, work with business partners on an integration.
Your Ideal Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Have a solid understanding of system architecture from the website all the way through to a database and Supply Chain
- Conversant in a wide-range of tech topics: SQL, HTML, AR, Networking, Agile vs Waterfall, etc.
- Uses testing tools (e.g. jUnit, Selenium) and associated technologies (e.g. Jenkins, Docker) to ensure that developments are reliable and don’t have to be revisited later on.
- Database experience in one or more RDBMS (MySql, DB2, MSSQL, etc.) and practical understanding of 3rd normal form, denormalisation, performance profiling, etc. (data-team specific).
- Uses Agile methodologies (sprints, stories, tasks – typically in JIRA).
- Great team player – other team members enjoy working with you, you are happy to mentor others (and be mentored yourself), you communicate clearly and confidently with people inside and outside the technology team.
At Pet Circle we believe that collaboration and team connection is key for success. This role will be based in Sydney with a blended working arrangement of 2 days in our pet friendly CBD offices and the remainder working from home (or the office, if you prefer!)
We’re passionate about what we do and our love for pets is the centre of our why. Becoming a pawsome Pet Circler means you’re committed to help shape an entire industry - pretty exciting stuff! We’re a stable, innovative and low-ego group of people who relish challenges and aren’t afraid to do what’s right. Here’s what we stand for;
We’re Better Together
We operate with Humble Hearts and Hungry Minds
We truly believe that Pets Matter; pets and pet parents always have a seat at our table
We’re Instinctively Curious. Always.
What else is in it for you?
A focus on you and your development - think learning tools, stretch projects, focus groups, secondments and other internal mobility opportunities! We’re committed to flexibility and understand that it means different things to different people.
Your wellbeing is non-negotiable. We seek to provide a collaborative, caring and safe environment, allowing you to present your full self each day.
Pet Better with up to 50% employee discount, product sample giveaways and Pawrental leave.
Join us on our animal welfare mission: we donate 10,000kg of pet food and supplies per month to pet shelters and support our communities through team charity volunteer days.
We have an incredibly passionate team, a leading brand, over 700,000 customers and growing, and we’re only just getting started!
At Pet Circle, candidate experience is of utmost importance. We have been recognised as a 2023 Circle Back Initiative Employer and we commit to responding to every application.
Belong at Pet Circle
Our unique expertise unites us to achieve our goal of helping pet parents, pet better. We value diversity in all forms and perspectives, always. Our global team is highly valued for all that they offer, we listen to each other and create a humble and inclusive environment for all to thrive. No matter your background, please apply if our roles ignite an excitement in you to bring your full self to work each day.