Product Designer Lead
At Spaceship, we're on a mission to transform the way people think about and invest their money. We started in 2017 with Spaceship Super - the super fund that invests in where the world is going. In 2018 we launched Spaceship Voyager, which is making investing easy for everyone with three professionally-managed growth portfolios. And in 2023, we launched a new US Investing service with an innovative Australian dollar experience.
Since launch, we have grown to more than 200,000 financial members and surpassed $1.3 billion in funds under management – but we're just getting started.
Spaceship is on the lookout for a dynamic Product Designer passionate about addressing customer needs and challenges in the financial investing domain. Renowned for our innovative and user-friendly digital experiences, Spaceship clinched WeMoney’s Best for Mobile Experience for Superannuation in 2022.
What will you be doing?
As Spaceship's Product Designer, you'll have a pivotal role in enhancing our digital customer experience across a spectrum of investment products, including managed funds, share trading, and superannuation. You'll also be instrumental in shaping the design aspects of new products and features entering the market. This role is an individual contributor position, reporting directly to the Chief Product Officer.
As the Product Designer, you will be responsible for:
- Digital Product Design: Demonstrate a profound understanding of our financial products and services to craft optimal digital user experiences for our customers.
- Digital Experience Problem-Solving and Concepting: Collaborate with Spaceship’s product managers to design new products, solve customer problems, and optimise product outcomes.
- End-to-End Design Ownership: Take charge of the design process from initial sketching and journey mapping to conceptualising, prototyping, and delivering high-fidelity final designs.
- Customer Research and UX Testing: Formulate and conduct research to identify and validate customer problems. Prototype designs to validate potential solutions.
- Collaboration with Engineering: Act as the design liaison with Spaceship’s engineers, ensuring considerations for accessibility, all screen sizes and modes and preparing designs for the engineering phase.
- Brand Translation: Translate brand elements into visually appealing user interfaces. Collaborate with the marketing team to maintain a consistent and effective application of our brand in digital experiences.
- Being UX Design Library custodian: Oversee Spaceship’s UX design library, which includes a component library and a publicly accessible UX design history.
What are we looking for?
The ideal candidate must:
- Have a Track Record in Product and UX Design: Demonstrated experience in digital (mobile and web) design. Experience within financial services is preferred, with investing and/or superannuation experience being a plus.
- Cultivate Curiosity for Customer Understanding: Deeply understand Spaceship’s customers' needs, goals, and challenges, driving human-centred design for confident and straightforward investing.
- Champion User Experience Innovation: Exhibit a passion for innovating user experience design, maintaining awareness of best practices in UX, and positioning Spaceship as the standout choice in the investing mobile and web experience.
- Expertise in Research and Testing: Possess experience in formulating and conducting customer research and UX testing.
- Manage Concurrent Projects: Comfortably handle multiple product initiatives at various stages of the product development lifecycle.
- Be Self-Motivated and Autonomous: Thrive in a fast-paced environment, taking initiative and staying organised as Spaceship’s sole product designer, playing a crucial role across product and engineering teams.
What are the perks and benefits?
- Competitive salary + equity options.
- Flexibility to work from home or the office.
- Part-time (working 4 days a week) will be considered for the right candidate.
- Progressive leave entitlements (read about these here).
- Health and wellness benefits.
- Learning and development allowance.
- Working from home allowance.
Who are we?
We are ~40 people passionate about enabling people to invest in their future.
We value forward-thinking, accessibility, curiosity, transparency and simplicity in everything we do - from the way we collaborate to the products we create.
Spaceship has raised more than $70m to date from some of the world’s most renowned investors including Horizons Ventures, AirTree Ventures, Grok Ventures, Valar Ventures, Sequoia Capital, and New Enterprise Associates.